How on earth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisa_anne, May 14, 2011.

1. lisa_anne

lisa_anne In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Their feed container is still standing upright (the type a mason jar screws into) yet they managed to dump ALL of the food onto the floor of the brooder. This concerns me because what if the thing fell on them and crushed them (they are two weeks old)? Anyone have any good tricks for securing a feeder and/or waterer? I think I need to move them off of the floor as well, since they kick crap into their water constantly.

Thanks!

2. MemphisChickens

MemphisChickens In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I used a brick to set my water on. This kept it at the right height and clean.

3. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Is the feeder also on the floor? My chicks do the food-scatter thing also. I have watched them for hours and still don't know how they manage [​IMG].

I have my waterer propped up on a piece of leftover wood from the coop- and that seems to do it, otherwise they tend to kick all their shavings up there.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    What if you replaced the glass with a plastic screw on top. They are usually available at the feed store. Then you don't have to worry about them being "crushed" by heavy glass. My chicks were just all over everything. I ending up hanging mine from the side....it was plastic though.

5. lisa_anne

lisa_anne In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I have a bunch of bricks outside so I can swing that. Yes, their feeder is also on the floor. I have been staring and can't for the life of me figure out how they did it. [​IMG]

6. lisa_anne

lisa_anne In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I will look for a plastic top too. Their waterer is plastic.

7. P-Funk

P-Funk Songster

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Sorry, but if they're tipping the feeder over @ 2 weeks, wait 'till 6 weeks. Next comes the water, which means the entire brooder needs new shavings instantly. My peepers just hit 8 weeks, and as soon as the weather clears up they're off to the coop where everything hangs from the ceiling. If there's a way you can hang the feeders now it will save you alot of work and worry. It's crazy the creative ways they can demand constant attention.

8. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Mine r 4, 5, & 6 weeks old and I was sooooo tired of them kicking stuff in their water and food that when I cleaned their brooder the other day I hung the stuff and built a stable playground for them to b able to get up to the stuff. My brooder is a big wood cart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lisa_anne

lisa_anne In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    So I have raised everything up. The water is definitely cleaner. As for the food, I need to glue something on top so they stop landing on it and pooping. Otherwise, it seems they can't knock it. [​IMG] Thanks for all of the suggestions!

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Chickens are notorious food wasters and will scratch the feed out of the feeder and all over the brooder. They might not have tipped it over at all. But yes, you will be so much happier to feed and water with them raised up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by