How persistent are predators?

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
Random question ... found some tracks on top of the nesting box this morning. Looks like raccoon? Luckily, the hardwire cloth and tons of staples kept him out. How persistent are they? Will they return frequently if they’ve never been successful?

Attachments

• 12EE5016-F364-4E0C-B735-CE62B22CAEF7.jpeg
    12EE5016-F364-4E0C-B735-CE62B22CAEF7.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 7
Most predators have routes and routines. They will lurk for an opportunity. Good predator proofing is the key. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. I grounded my fence so anything that touches the electric wires and fence will hurt. I want the predators to hurt so they will stay away. I see predators often on my game cameras. I think the adults teach their young that a bird isn't worth getting zapped for. Good luck...

It kind of depends on the predators in your area, but it's always safest to assume they're always waiting for an opportunity.

For instance, my local band of raccoons will check every night/early morning, but won't actually work very hard for a chicken dinner. They've never bothered scaling the 6' chain link panels, but they'll pull a head off if it's stuck through 100% of the time. Meanwhile, my opossums will go to any length necessary to get at a chicken. We also have fox that trot right past and never make any efforts. But a few miles down the road, friends have the opposite experiences. You just never know, so you have to stay on guard.

I have electric wires around my coops and pens. I grounded my fence so anything that touches the electric wires and fence will hurt.
Do you have your fencing buried or an apron with the electric fencing? Does the electric wire hurt the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom