How predator proof are chicken tractors?

Mark54

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
I would like to keep my birds in chicken tractors, but I'm not sure if it would protect them at night?

Would really appreciate some comments on the subject.

Thanks,
Mark

We kept our really nice silkies in them for a year while we were building their nice coop. We had problems only one time. That was b/c my husband missed trimming one of the edges. We had over 8 tractors after that with not one problem. Just make sure you build them pretty tight and with strong wire or strong plastic.

I finished mine and haven't had any issues as of yet. The fencing is primarily 2"x4" 4' high with 1/2" hardware cloth all around the bottom. The windoes and vet holes are all covered with hardware cloth as well. I did run a couple of wires for an electric fence around the bottom to keep digging animals at bay. At night the girls go inside and get locked up.

My oldest tratcor is going on four years and in all that time I've never lost a bird inside to a predator. I have to let them out for that!

The apron wire around the bottom makes all the difference.

A.T. Hagan :

My oldest tratcor is going on four years and in all that time I've never lost a bird inside to a predator. I have to let them out for that!

The apron wire around the bottom makes all the difference.

Good to hear.How much of an apron do you have? What are you using?

Thanks,
Mark​

Quote:

Thanks,
Mark

I've experimented with different kinds of wire and have yet to find one that I really like over the long term. The last four tractors I've built I used one inch chicken wire (metal poultry netting) that was doubled over. The width of the apron on some tractors is two feet and the latest just one foot. At just twelve inches you have to pay attention when you move that it's laying flat all the way around after the move. So far nothing has seriously attempted to tear through the wire and it hasn't torn up on the ground the way welded wire tends to want to do. The biggest problem I'm having with it is that after one to two years it wants to rust out where it touches the treated wood. Ever since they went to the new all-copper wood treatment it rusts metal faster than the old stuff did.

I think the best apron wire would be about an eighteen inch width of two-inch no-climb field fence, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I'd have to cut it down from the standard four foot width, but I believe it would last for years.

A.T. Hagan :

Quote:

Thanks,
Mark

I've experimented with different kinds of wire and have yet to find one that I really like over the long term. The last four tractors I've built I used one inch chicken wire (metal poultry netting) that was doubled over. The width of the apron on some tractors is two feet and the latest just one foot. At just twelve inches you have to pay attention when you move that it's laying flat all the way around after the move. So far nothing has seriously attempted to tear through the wire and it hasn't torn up on the ground the way welded wire tends to want to do. The biggest problem I'm having with it is that after one to two years it wants to rust out where it touches the treated wood. Ever since they went to the new all-copper wood treatment it rusts metal faster than the old stuff did.

I think the best apron wire would be about an eighteen inch width of two-inch no-climb field fence, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I'd have to cut it down from the standard four foot width, but I believe it would last for years.​

Thanks for responding A.T.. I'll have to checkout the no-climb field fence. I was thinking maybe hinging the apron might help.

Back
Top Bottom