1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How predator proof is Smartside?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by trailrider330, Oct 2, 2015.

1. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    I've already purchased the Smartside needed to reside our chicken coop; however, I am now having second thoughts and find myself wondering if it is going to be too easy for predators to get through. I realize I could put a backing behind it (i.e. OSB) but I am also trying to save some expense. Has anyone ever had a predator get through Smartside?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  3. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Rats could chew through, but I doubt that a raccoon would take the time or effort too ... Now a bear could easily rip it apart, or most stuff! ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    We bought the 1/2" Smartside but I guess it is just not as sturdy as I expected it to be. In fact, it seems a lot less sturdy than 1/2" plywood or OSB. Plus the back reminds me of particle board so I was just curious if anyone had issues. The other threads I read on BYC were all so positive. I did not recall anyone having predator issues but I just wanted to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by