How pregnant is my goat?

Thechickenchick2

Songster
Mar 15, 2018
Rhode Island
so, little back story - went to the farm next door to get some hay for our Nigerian dwarfs and ended up adopting the two Nigerian dwarfs that they had in their herd of cattle. As far as I am concerned they are pretty young - the boy was just recently banded and the doeling is pregnant. I am trying desperately to get an idea as to how far along she is and even their age. These goats were dumped at the farm so they also don’t have much information to give. There was a billy that was with them but he either went to a new home or to slaughter. I assume these two to be brother in sister.

We are bringing them to the vet on Saturday to get her an ultrasound and physical and shots... but was really anxious to see if someone could help me get an idea on age and when she may be due! Thanks!!

Attachments

• 8E27E25E-1C8D-474E-81CC-947803A6E7D4.jpeg
    8E27E25E-1C8D-474E-81CC-947803A6E7D4.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 25
  • B83D573F-23B2-4B39-9F57-23BD34A37FAC.jpeg
    B83D573F-23B2-4B39-9F57-23BD34A37FAC.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 18
  • BB0C119B-4CEA-41BF-AFD6-DB578467C20C.jpeg
    BB0C119B-4CEA-41BF-AFD6-DB578467C20C.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 9FEC01DB-0734-4DBA-8ED4-2EDEE12C29A1.jpeg
    9FEC01DB-0734-4DBA-8ED4-2EDEE12C29A1.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 4E7620F6-BB2A-496A-8FF6-826D0F687071.jpeg
    4E7620F6-BB2A-496A-8FF6-826D0F687071.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 17
I think the vet will be able to help with that. Age can be estimated by the teeth and how far along can be estimated by the ultrasound. Are you sure she's pregnant?
They’ll def be able to help but I just wanted to see if someone else had another way for me to have an idea in the future without a vet. all I know with the teeth is she’s under a year.. there are no adult teeth. We were told by the farmers that her milk bag came in and that she has been around two males (not banded) up until about a week or two ago when her father got taken away and her brother got banded. I’m pretty positive she’s pregnant. I honestly don’t see how she wouldn’t be with all of that time with her father and brother. Thanks so much! I guess Saturday will tell us more!

Good luck. I have two pregnant does right now. I was just told by the pregnant owners, in June when I got them, that should be due around August/September. One looks like it's getting close while the other is looking less and less pregnant over the past few weeks, but no signs of a miscarriage on her backside so I don't know what to think :( I guess I'll know if I go out and she's gone into labor or has a baby next to her one day!

Good luck at the vet and post back to let us know how far along she is. I have read mixed reviews, about being able to estimate pregnancy based on visual signs.

Please post an update after the vet...but to me it looks like any time now but she's a bit thin compared to what her bag is saying watch for swelling on the vulva and possibly some colostrum leakage from her teats you can mix some lamb magic in with her dry feed

Good luck. I have two pregnant does right now. I was just told by the pregnant owners, in June when I got them, that should be due around August/September. One looks like it's getting close while the other is looking less and less pregnant over the past few weeks, but no signs of a miscarriage on her backside so I don't know what to think :( I guess I'll know if I go out and she's gone into labor or has a baby next to her one day!

Good luck at the vet and post back to let us know how far along she is. I have read mixed reviews, about being able to estimate pregnancy based on visual signs.

Aw I really hope all is well with the doe that isn’t kidding and isn’t looking as pregnant. I hope for healthy babies all around!
Please post an update after the vet...but to me it looks like any time now but she's a bit thin compared to what her bag is saying watch for swelling on the vulva and possibly some colostrum leakage from her teats you can mix some lamb magic in with her dry feed
I know.. she’s really tiny in the belly but her bag is huge. I’ve been trying to keep an eye but I could be keeping an eye for a few more hours or months! I don’t have a clue how far she is. I’ll let everyone know!

Thanks! I pick some up and add it in for her

So, I just went outside and she allowed me to feel her belly and ligaments I just had to bribe her with treats. She is very much “food aggressive”. Her ligaments are still very tight and intact. Her belly underneath is also very tight and hard and I didn’t feel any movement.

This is our first time having goats and we’ve only had wethers let alone a pregnant doeling. This may sound ignorant but the doe/doelings only get such large milk bags in pregnancy, correct?

Well I will say there is such a thing as spontaneous lactation but not very common but it does happen...are you sure the brother is a sibling and not a former kid of hers from the older billy?
So... to be honest we have heard both scenarios one being that they are siblings and the other that they are mama/buckling... if it was mama and buckling would that explain the milk bag?

Back
Top Bottom