How pretty are these eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CautiousVenturer, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CautiousVenturer

CautiousVenturer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The eggs are beautiful, but I would say don't incubate unless you know FOR SURE you have a place to keep them.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You could always hatch them and then sell them.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's not always that easy. It can depend upon where a person lives. I live in a rural area (as in, 20 miles from town, neighbors a mile or more away) and everyone who wants to have chickens has them. You can't even give them away. In an urban area, it could be just as difficult because people can't have chickens. Also, if a person is worried about what might happen to their chickens once they're sold or given away, that will be difficult, too. You'd have to be able to sell or give them away and not look back. That's why you need to know you have a place to keep them or a market for them before hatching.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I guess that is possible. Where I live it is rural and also about 45 minutes from a very large town (Austin) and get people in both areas buying chicks, even the males. And I sell them and "don't look back" as you put it.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yeah, our nearest "large" town is 1 1/2 hours away, and not nearly as large as Austin. Lots of farmland between here and there. You're fortunate to have a market for excess chickens.

7. CautiousVenturer

CautiousVenturer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm 98% percent sure I won't, but I'm drooling over the day I'll have such chocolatey dark and speckly eggs like those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by