How protective are hens of nesting spots?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Alabama, my diva of a Rhode Island Red hen (9 months old) went through a little phase where she started laying eggs in my broken down barn. I blocked off the barn and made the coop a little more private:

[​IMG]

Curtains and the like as you can see. When Alabama gets one of the nesting box she will check to see if anyone is in any of the others first. Once she chooses one she will stick her head up through the gap between the roof of the box and the wall and look to see if anyone got in the next one. If someone comes in when she is laying an egg she screeches bloody murder. I always think someone is being murdered outside. Then I go out and she calms down upon seeing me and I realize she was upset because one of her sisters got into the box next to her. Lately she's been hunting for a new place but I've foiled her plans. It's pretty easy to foil them when she gets herself on the corner of my deck and screeches because her sisters came to investigate what she's doing. One of the chickens I have is special and doesn't lay eggs. She will follow her favourite sister in the nesting box (Alabama) and sometimes sit in the box next to her. Which enrages Alabama to the point that I think a hawk must have got her. And so help us all if someone took her fav nesting box...

Is this normal or do I just have a little drama queen on my hands. The others don't do that.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think you have a drama queen on your hands.

Maybe another curtain on the front, partway down???

Really pretty SLW, anyway.

3. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    That photo was taken by me opening the door to their egg box (it's on the outside of the coop). Haha, well I guess Miss Diva will just have to live with these nesting boxes.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wait, you called her a Rhode Island Red. . . Isn't that just a Silver Laced Wyandotte? [​IMG]

It's normal though.

5. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    Haha that's Zoe. My SLWs couldn't care less about who is in the coop. Oddly enough Alabama doesn't mind if I peak my head in the nesting box but she minds the hens. Maybe she knows I won't steal her spot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by