How quickly do ducks desocialize?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Srt4te, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Srt4te

Srt4te Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    New jersey
    I have 2 pekins,one of which was attacked by a raccoon and injured.She was attacked last saturday and weve had the injured duck isolated in our garage so it can recover.Today i tried some visiting time with the 2 and the injured duck wouldnt come out of the carrier we had her in.The duck thats ok and has been in her pen was standing by her the whole time and seemed excited to have her company and have her around again.I know the hurt duck is probably in pain and a little nervous or weak so Im not too worried.I was wondering if anyone knows how quickly they can grow apart? I know they imprint and bond easily I just dont know how it works the other way.Any input is appreciated,Thanks!

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I am not sure but I would say that you are 100% right to say that your duck wanted to stay in the cage because she felt safer there. She has had a traumatic experience and will be wary of the world for a bit. I think it is a really good idea to give her visiting time with her duck friend though. I would not worry to much about them growing apart - I think that they will be best buddies again once your hurt duck has recovered, even though there will have been a period of isolation. But visiting time can only help to reduce the stress on both ducks during the recovery period.

Is your injured duck healing well? Any sign of infection (e.g. bad smells round wounds?). It sounds like you are doing a good job of caring for her.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Once she is healed she will integrate easily. She is hiding because she knows she is weak and therefore a potential victim. Just give her time. [​IMG]

4. Srt4te

May 4, 2012
    New jersey
    Thanks for the reply guys.Thats what i figured,she seems a little depressed and down cuz she is injured and also shes not eating.Shes doing ok.The raccoon got her beak pretty good,luckily my wife screamed and i was able to run out hit the raccoon and save her.We took her to the vet on saturday and again today.So far i spent 15 times what i paid for her,hahaha.Weve had her on antibiotics since sat.,antiinflammatories and pain meds.We were also putting neosporin on her bill.The vet took off the top quarter of her bill today cuz it was dead so now her tongue and bottom bill stick out.She seems ok,a little lethargic but my main concern is that she really wasnt eating so on tuesday i started making a concoction in the blender of 2 eggs,romaine,pedialyte and tomatoes.She gulps that down pretty well and we have to remove the water w/ antibiotics because she wont touch it otherwise shell just drink water.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope she recovers completely, sounds like she has a very loving home. How did the raccoon get to her?

6. Srt4te

May 4, 2012
    New jersey
    Thank you,I appreciate it,i hope so too.We had the door to their pen open.We usually leave it open when we are home and we let them roam around at least a few hours each day,usually longer on weekends,when were not home theyre in their pen.It was just about dusk 730-745 and my wife heard them making noise and splashing in their pool and sure enough a raccoon got in there and snatched her.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh my how awful, thank goodness you were able to save her.

8. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    So glad you were able to save your duck! I hope she gets well soon so she can be with her friend again.

9. Srt4te

May 4, 2012
    New jersey
    Thank you all for the support and well wishes.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by