How rare are flower (swedish spotted) hens in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by braeveokapi4, Aug 23, 2010.

1. braeveokapi4

braeveokapi4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I've had chickens for three years now, infact, I am on my third generation already. The chickens I have came from my neighbors who have a lot. They are some kind of clean legged bantam. I've searched every possible breed and the only one that matches perfectly is the flower hen or swedish spotted hen. I live in PA. How rare is this breed? Do you think my ID is correct or do you think these are chickens that are mixed breeds and have lost original features? Please let me know.

This photo was taken last summer, that is one of my roosters with two of the hens as well as a pullet and young rooster that were hatched from them. Notice the Mille Fleur like pattern but however, clean legs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    Do you have pictures? I don't believe that Flower Hens are available in this country (yet) and are very very rare. With pictures, someone here may be able to help you figure out what your chickens are. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Hi, braeveokapi4, and [​IMG]

Any chance you could post pics of you birds? I looked at the Swedish Spotted Hen pics on Feathersite, and it appears to be a standard size bird, not a bantam. The pattern looks sort of similar to a Mille Fleur pattern.

Pretty birds!

4. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Greenfire Farms has imported therm into America and is selling a breeding pair for $399.

5. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    They could also be Speckled Sussex, they have the pretty patterns and are a lot easier to get. [​IMG]

6. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    As far as I know, Greenfire Farms is the only one who has imported the Swedish flower breed, and they just arrived in the States about a month ago. They are gorgeous birds, though, I would love to be able to have some one day.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You could have some type of Spangled Bird.
    A picture would help..

Chris

8. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    Bumping back up. I still have no idea what they are after looking at the pictures! Some kind of mille fleur game maybe? They sure are pretty!

***OP put pic on first post***

edited to add: Sorry for bumping...I just noticed two other threads with same question.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by