1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How rare is my Blue Sumatran Hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EggsAllDay, Sep 11, 2012.

1. EggsAllDay

EggsAllDay Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    So I've read that a true blue sumatran is pretty rare. I picked her up from a guy who said he "thinks" she came from argentina (?) and by that I mean she was shipped up here from there. She's pretty skiddish- an amazing flyer, and Ive had her just long enough to where she is starting to get along with my other girls just fine and dandy. So- someone more experienced than I, is she really rare? and NO- its not a blue "splash." I swear she is silvery blue from head to tail, no black specks or anything. (she lays a big white egg every 3 days or so)

Any thoughts?

2. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Yes, they are rare! Are they impossible to get, no. Cackle hatchery does sell them. If someone paid to have her shipped as a grown bird, I assume she is of good quality. Lucky you!!!

3. EggsAllDay

Sep 10, 2012
    she's really something I tell ya. No comb, no waddle, and black legs AND black skin! I've even been told their bones are black. She is soooo cool. I got her for 15 bucks! ( I got her from craigslist off a guy who I suspect was breeding fighting cocks.) When I went to pick her up he had lots and lots of roosters "chained" up if you will, and they all look beat up real real bad. I was glad i could rescue her. She's the pride of my flock

4. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I would really like to see some pictures of her. I like sumatras never owned any, but I still like them.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Normal blue sumatras arent too hard to come by, they are right behind black as far as color popularity goes. If she is melanized (black skin/bones) then she probably has some other game type in her. I know a game breeder in the are that has some gorgeous melanized sumatra looking birds. What is wrong with her that he sold her for $15 if she was imported? I don't know of anyone in their right mind that would import something and sell it for so cheap unless it was smuggled in? (not sure how that would work)

Post pics if you can

6. EggsAllDay

Sep 10, 2012
    Bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by