how reliable are water heater thermostats?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by unclejohn, Dec 30, 2014.

1. unclejohn

unclejohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    this link here
    http://www.rona.ca/en/water-heater-thermostat
    is my local rona shop. when i look at the picture though it looks like the temperature on it can only be set from 110F to 170F.
    i was thinking about maybe just getting a dimmer switch
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lutron-credenza-cfl-led-lamp-dimmer-0528676p.html#.VKKvKF4Cw

then i can just set the temp as i need. People have said that with dimmer switches if the power goes out then the dimmer will not turn the light back on, but i am usually home anyways

are the water heater thermostats reliable at keeping it at 99.5?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO, the temperature differential between when they turn on power and cycle off is too wide, usually 3 degrees.
    Some people still use them by placing the thermostat and heat source farther away from the eggs.

3. isethebye

isethebye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    properly set up and mine holds 100.0 depending on the room temp it may fluctuate .5 degree.
    just had to turn it back on the 8th day from 100.4- 100 wireless temp reads 99.5 steady whereas the probe is more quick to respond.[​IMG]

4. unclejohn

unclejohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    what can i use rather than a water thermostat?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG] Good resource links given.

Some folks aren't cut out to build their own incubator. They just go to a website like Brinsea and order one. Others buy the foam incubators ready to rock and roll.

I've built a half dozen incubators and enjoy the "craftiness" of it all. To each their own. You pay your money and you take your choice.

[​IMG]

7. frg34

frg34 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
  8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    An incandescent light constantly cycling will eventually burn out. Shouldn't happen with a metallic element.
    The only problem is that you can't tell if they're working by looking at them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by