How reliable is the sexing of Barred Rocks as day old chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SportChick, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I just hatched 6 chicks. They are all Barred Rocks. I have read and seen the pictures suggesting the larger, more dramatic white caps and less pigmented legs and lighter/silvery coloring is indicative of Roos. I am looking at my group and I have 2 that meet all of those criteria and 2 more that have pretty substantial white/yellow caps but are not as silvery. How much should I count on this? I am aiming for 6 hens, so I will likely start another hatch now if it is pretty certain I only got 2 hens out of this one.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep what you said is basicly correct, with a little eye training you can sex day old barred rocks fairly easily

here are some of mine if it helps

pullets
    [​IMG]

roos
    [​IMG]

even if you did end up with 6 pullets in this hatch, it you want to end up with 6 you need to hatch more anyway becuase you are always gonna lose a few.

3. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Yup! That was the picture I had found that made me realize I probably have at least 4 and probably 5 roos and only 1, maybe 2 pullets. [​IMG]
    I have no intention of losing any to critters, but illness I can't be sure of I guess. Their heads are what is convincing me, is that more reliable or is the whole group of characteristic the most helpful. By their heads, I am pretty sure I have 4-5. Only 3 are silvery in color. I really don't think I am a good judge of their legs. They keep sitting on them and they are so little I hate to just stretch them out to see. 2 fit all the criteria for sure.

What am I going to do with 5 roosters!!! I don't have the knowledge or the desire to dress them myself, and funny but no one is volunteering to take my extra roos, only hens! Should I start asking real farmer to help me. I am perfectly happy to eventually eat them, I just can do the deed myself.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by