How reliable will this broody be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HorseFeathers, Dec 25, 2008.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    OK, so we have a hen who has gone broody twice, but we always broke her of it because we couldn't hatch eggs on our old property (no space and no good if some were roos). Now this spring, if Olympia goes broody again we would like to slip some fertile eggs under her and let her hatch them. But will she be reliable after her two discouraged experiences? Will she see it through? Lympy's a pretty determined girl, but it's hard to tell...

Also, we were thinking of Welsummer eggs. Do those have a decent survival hatch rate?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    What kind of hen is she? If it were me, I wish it was me, I would go with some eggs that are not that important at first and see what happens. That's just me, I'm sure someone will chime in who know more than me. Merry Christmas

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would test with some "cheap" eggs first go around with any broody.

She won't remember that you broke her in the past really. But, I've had broodies sit very very well, but make the utmost worst mothers... in that they just kept on sitting, and smothered all the chicks.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    She's a Black Australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by