How rude can people be?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by cutechick53, Feb 14, 2015.

1. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    So I live in the city, and have some rude neighbors. On one side the neighbor's are as sweet as can be, a detective with his wife, and on the other side, there is a husband, wife, and their young daughter. When we moved, (we stayed in our other house for 6 years, such a change as I had been there half my whole life) all of us had to adjust. Littler streets, smaller side yards, ect. Our 10 yr. old lab was a bit confused to. (She spent over half her life in that house too) The said neighbors never liked Kota, because to stay in shape, she runs laps in our back yard and jumps to see what's over the fence. One night, around 2 months after we left, she got riled by their other dog and started barking till, oh, around 10;00 20 ft. by her daughters window. Then, THEY CALLED THE COPS! After 2 hours of barking! I can see, but they could go over to the 4 ft. tall fence and try to hush her up before calling the police! They left a rude note on our door the next day. The daughter still sits on the fence and for fun, she bothers and riles our dog! The next instance was when the daughter asked if I could ride bikes. I said not now, I was busy, I has to pick up my friend down the street. Now she gives me the stink eye for that. Then, they were mad when we didn't bake goods for them when we were baking. (You could smell it, our back door is always open) The wife doesn't like my dad, since he has a trailer for work that he often parks out front, he is a professional contractor. They park in front of our house, and glare at us when we go out side. I am worried for two things. #1: I have to get their permission to get a new flock of chickens. I am so worried they will say no for payback. #2: If I get chickens, I wonder if she will try to hurt them, like some cases on here. What do you think I should do to improve relationships? (Whew, it feels so good to get this rant out!) This has been such a headache for me, I've never been though this before!

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Maybe try selling eggs to them if you already have chickens?Like I say carma comes back,if sh hurts your chicks,hurt any animals of theirs,be sure to lock your chickens upa nd tighty,and BE SURE,to have a closed gate.

3. cutechick53

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    I don't have any chickens now. But maybe I could get eggs from my aunt who has chickens!

4. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    I don't think you should need permission from your neighbors to get chickens. I'm pretty shure most people don't care as long as you don't have a noisy rooster. Where I live no one cares because many people have chickens but If your worried your neighbors will try to hurt your chickens you can get a motion detector light to tell you when some ones out there but a better idea would be a hidden camera. If your neighbors hurt one of your chickens they could be arrested or maybe even sued but If you don't want that to happen you can offer some cookies or some eggs your chickens layed. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  5. cutechick53

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    I posted this same thing on the easy garden and I got some saying it is also your fault that your dog was barking for 2 hours. So let me change it, my computer glitched and left some words out. She wasn't barking non stop, they wrote a letter saying she was occasionally barking that night. We weren't there we were on a trip.

6. esme13

esme13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    Unfortunately having neighbors complain about a dog barking is the hard part living in an urban area. There isn't a whos right or who's wrong just a level of respect. Totally think that the neighbor should have come to you, if they had a problem with the dog barking, before getting the police involve. Some people are more pet people then others. I wouldn't necessary go out on a limb to make friends with them, just be cautious and courteous. I would also try getting some taller shrubs or bushes to put on your side of the the fence to give more privacy. I can totally see your frustration and it does stink. Check to make sure that you can have hens with your county and get yourself some hens :) if your dog is a barker just let the dog out when you are around. I have barking dogs myself and will only let them out when I'm around.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be a good neighbor to them, and hopefully they will return the favor. Not meaning to be critical, but leaving dogs outside unattended is generally not a good idea. There is always the potential for them to get into trouble. Hopefully this will resolve favorably.

8. Sambi89

Sambi89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT
    Ok so this is just my two cents. . . I have a smallish flock of chickens, 3 dogs, and 2 cats. I have the most amazing neighbors all around ( I live in the city and have very close neighbors) except one family. My husband and I are young, and we were only 19 and 21 when we bought our home (early bird gets the worm ) and I think they saw us as a nuisance in their well developed neighborhood. I'll admit we had a few loud nights and are the only ones in our neighborhood that doesn't attend the local church( our area is very religious and we are very not). So I understand their aversion to us. We have grown up a lot over the past 7 years and have tried every way possible to make peace with these neighbors, because it's not like we're going anywhere. They don't openly do things to us but if my dog barks for 10 min they make sure to call the cops, keep in mind they have a dog that will bark for hours ( it doesn't bother me, dogs bark it's what they do I have three but only the one ever really barks). Anyway my point being sometimes no matter what people won't like you. Just try to be the bigger person whenever you can and try not to let them bug you.

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    dogs running laps in the backyard, jumping to see over the fence, barking for hours (even if it's not non-stop) is RUDE. It's not something that any responsible dog owner would allow their dog to do - it's how dogs end up poisoned, tormented by the neighbors, end up with lots of complaints about it.

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    My sister got a ticket for a barking dog. The neighbors called the cops and the cop who answered "heard a dog barking" so he wrote her a ticket. The kicker was - she and her husband were gone for the weekend and had taken the dog to a kennel. It was the neighbors behind them who had just adopted a dog and left it out all night. My sister went in and fought the ticket, she had the receipts for their hotel AND THE KENNEL that proved they were not even there, but she still had to pay the $ because the officer said it was their dog. The officer even acknowledged that he didn't see a dog in their backyard because of the 6 foot high privacy fence and didn't check to see if the barking was coming from any other yard. His excuse - he had ticketed them before because of a barking dog.
    They put their house on the market and moved to the country.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by