1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how safe are the babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensgalore, Jun 20, 2011.

1. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    i have a hen going broody i plan on taking her out after she sits for a couple weeks and was wondering how soon i could introduce her and the young ones back into the rest of the flock of 1 rooster and 4 other hens,how well will she protect them?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    That really depends on the chickens involved. For example if the momma hen is a dominant bird, she will likely be capable of protecting her young right away, especially if the other hens are mellow.

Your rooster may step in as protector of the young and help out.

Your rooster might be aggressive to them - some roosters are dumb that way.

I've seen lots of stories on here where it works well, and just as many where chicks get beat up. I would err on the side of caution and put up a flimsy chicken wire divider between mom and rest of flock until the chicks are a week or two old and you can read how aggressive your other birds may or may not be with the chicks. This also gives the chicks every opportunity to eat as much as they can during those critical first days of life after the yolks are absorbed.

3. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    ok yea she's pretty high ranked,the only reason i have to take her out of the coop is because it is about 4ft off the ground and they have to climb a ramp to get up into the coop or i would probably just leave her alone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by