How should I bath my silkies??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mandelaykay, Aug 2, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I have my first show this sunday and I need to start bathing my silkies. I have two whites and two splash. I have read a lot of different ways on what to use and how to wash them but I was wondering if silkies need to be washed in any special way. Is there anything I should know? What do you like to do to wash your birds and or get them show ready?

Thanks guys!![​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Bring all three into the house and put them in the tub. Do not use the plug, but run the water until it is warm. Pick one bird up and hold its back under the faucet, and begin working the water into its feathers. Get the whole bird wet, but make sure to not let water get into its beak or nostrils. Put some shampoo on your hand and gently rub it into the feathers, add more water to get the suds going. Once the whole bird is sudsy, put the first bird down; repeat with the next bird, and then the third. Go back to the first bird and begin rinsing under the faucet. You can partially fill a bucket or wash basin with water and white vinegar to give a rinse that will get all soap out. With only three birds, you can probably use the same rinse for all. You can repeat this procedure with glycerin instead of vinegar to add shine.

I usually use a dog or cat flea/tick shampoo to kill any bugs they may have, and to kill any that they may pick up at the show.

After all birds are finished, wrap in a towel for a few minutes, then blow dry. I usually trim beaks and nails while they are wrapped in the towel.

3. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Thank you so much for your help! Where do you find glycerin. I can only find it online...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by