How should I best deal with frostbite case?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Jan 11, 2015.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hello! So I know there are multiple frostbite things on here, but I can't find an answer for my specific case. My buff orpington rooster's comb has blackish tips on it, and a pale patch near the back of his comb.

What should I do? Is it really necessary to separate him and put him in my basement?

Do I have to apply heat to his head? I'm in Massachusetts, and its going to be about twenty degrees out today.

Should I try putting triple antibiotic on the back of his comb? I'm just not sure what to do, or how bad this type of thing is.

2. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

3. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Quite frankly, there are a lot worse cases of frost bite on here so you shouldn't be worried, I would just cover the comb with some Vaseline which will insulate it, if it gets any worse then post again. :)

4. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hi, pretty BO roo you have,we have two and they both got some frost bite on their combs and wattles. The wattles from dipping their wattles in the heated water bowl before roosting and we got down to -15 that night. There are varying ideas on frostbite, but what I read was to not touch the comb/wattle as it can do more damage. I did rub Bag Balm on their wattles and comb, it also has a soothing effect for them. I am asking a salve with coconut oil, vitamin e oil and calendula to start putting on their wattles for healing. Here is the damage they got. Our alpha got It worse than the second in command, his became swollen for about two days and he lost some weight as he wasn't eating much.

This was taken Jan 1st and he is much better now, but my understanding it takes weeks for the damage to heal.

Bruno - second in command
    [​IMG]

Rocco
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The damage on his comb is from me leaving a side vent in the coop open the night it was so cold, poor guy. Good luck and your doesn't look too bad.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thank you both! I put vaseline on his comb last night and he was perfectly fine with it. Hopefully it won't get infected!

6. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Just watch him for infection and he should be fine. Rocco's wattles never got infected and he was worse than yours.

7. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I need some help! today he was fluffed up in the corner of the run shivering. This morning his comb had an orange spot on it. Please help! Does this mean infection?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

I have some triple antibiotic ointment here, should I try that??

9. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Here are some better pictures... I reeeally need help right now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Anyone?