How should I handle venilation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Knittycat, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I'm building an incubator from an old explosives crate (no worries, it's been clean for a long time!) and I'm not sure where to put the vent holes, or how many to use. I live in a fairly warm often humid climate (the current temp is 82 with the humidity at 71%), could I get some ideas?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/high-explosives-incubator This is the page for it.

I'll have a heat sink and a water basin in it as well. Any help would be appreciated!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Um... a whole saw at 1 or 2 inches and mount the fan over it? (Get a pvc can that fits? )

With your (and my) humidity you won't loose a lot of water with it set up as an 'intake' fan put across the box at the same level the same amount of openings in 1/4 inch holes that you can plug with wet sponges or rubber corks.

3. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    How high up the box would you put the holes? Egg level? Top? Bottom? The intake fan is a great idea. I'll work that in.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

With a circulating fan and an intake fan It shouldn't matter.

Otherwise above the eggs to keep the temp good (that is away/above the heat source and eggs)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by