1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Should I Orient The Features Of The Coop? (North, East, South, West)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RaskyKat, Jan 30, 2015.

1. RaskyKat

RaskyKat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Newbie chicken pimp here looking for some advice. Is there a preferred placement of the inside features of the chicken coop? For instance, I figured since the birds will be roosting for 8 hour or so over night, I'll put their roosts against the South wall as our prevailing winds blow from the North or NW. That way, they may not hear the constant thumping of the winds at night and may stay warmer in the cold weather. Is my thinking right? Can you elaborate on other orientation ideas? Thank you.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Face windows to the east. That way they get the morning sun. South windows (what many suggest) aren't good in summer, don't help at 3 AM in winter and don't help with light because chickens are outside when the sun is coming from that direction.

Put nest boxes, roosts and chicken doors in such a way that the birds don't have to walk under roosts going from outside to the nests so they don't track feces into the nests.

The wind won't matter. The sound will be the same all over the coop as will the temperature.

Big ventilation and a good overhang over them are vital elements.

3. RaskyKat

RaskyKat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Great! Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by