How significant is interior coop height to chickens' welfare

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beedude, Sep 25, 2011.

1. beedude

beedude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Osteen, FL
    All the items I have read specify square footage of the coop as the key to chicken welfare. Clearly it is critical to give them enough room. However, what is the effect of taller coops? There can be more roost space and perhaps some space above nesting boxes for chickens to 'get away'. Any thoughts on this? I am thinking taller, within reason, is better.

2. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I gotta say, a run tall enough for the cleaner-upper human sure makes it easier for the chicken keeper!

1 person likes this.
  3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:That's my big concern! [​IMG]

Height is handy for roosting space (chickens that roost seem to like to roost as high they can), but depending on bedding method, chicken poop covers the same square footage whether the coop is 3 feet high or 10 feet high.

Taller is good, but don't sacrifice base floor square footage for height.

4. Elmntal

Elmntal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    How low does a chicken feel comfortable roosting?

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, The coop height is more of a comfort thing for the chickens owner in my opinion. I am 6'2'' and wouldn't have dreamed of building a coop and run that I couldn't stand up in. Makes no sense to me. Chickens will roost at 12'' or 10' if ya provide it for them. They just want to be off the ground. Its in their little brain as a safety issue. My roosts are at 4' and 6', some like to be higher than others. I have two Seabrights that roost on the top wall plate in between the rafters. Just some thoughts.
    Erik

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Same here I prefer some room to get around in and the birds love all the room and the space to jump around. I personaly would never ever own a itty bitty little toy coop, they are worthless IMO and the birds seem so cramped, and these owners of the small ones wonder why there is feather picking, and social problems in those little jails.

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:True. I have chickens that prefer to roost on the running gear frames of my mobile hen houses. That can't be more than a foot and a half above the ground.

8. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    A wise chicken owner once noted

Chicken poop splats over more area when dropped from a higher elevation

2 people like this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:The chickens in my grow out pen are perfectly happy roosting about 8" above the floor. I had one rooster who did not like to roost, he slept in a nesting box at floor level by his choice.

Roosts that are too high can also run the risk of damaging the chickens' landing apparatus when they hit the floor, especially heavier breeds. If you want to have high roosts, it seems best to me to have a progression of roost heights (like a ladder) so heavier hens can hop safely down to the floor.

10. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My hens do not roost at all. The sleep in a pile on the floor just like when they were chicks. So the 2 and a half foot height of my coop is perfect for them, the heat cannot rise to far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by