How Small a Hole Can A Predator Get Through?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AllynTal, Feb 20, 2017.

1. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Time and time again, we see posts here from frustrated folks who thought their coop and run was "predator-proof" and now they've lost one or more chickens to a mysterious predator. Oh my! How could they have gotten in?!?

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/up...icnic-slinky-mink-update-january-31-2017.html
    I don't care about the bear stuff in that link, so scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch a mink (which is usually larger than a weasel, at least here in the U.S.) scamper right through a one-inch (2.5 cm) gap. I mean seriously, did it look like he had any trouble? None at all. So think about that when you look at your own coop with an eye to make it safe for your birds. A one-inch gap is more than enough for a predator who can easily kill your chickens to get into a coop.

1 person likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That is scary. I think a lot of people use chain link panels and don't notice the slight gaps where they connect them and also with gates.

1 person likes this.
  3. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I heard thst they kill every bird in the cage, and drink their blood.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Great link! I read somewhere that a raccoon can squeeze through a 4" X 4" hole, and I have seen skunks go through 2" x 4" welded wire.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great link, thanks for sharing.

6. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I watched a well-fed momma raccoon and her three babies slither through the gap at the top of a shed door. The gap, no lie, was less than 3 inches wide, so a 4"x4" hole would be a spacious entry point for them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by