how small are pullet eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nickie, Oct 11, 2011.

1. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Just looking for an in general size comparison so I know what to look for, aside from a small egg, duh. I have 3 girls at the any day now stage, so I am keeping everyone confined to coop/run until early afternoon to make ny job easier, but the leaves are really falling now... Are we talking golf ball sized, larger or smaller for 2 rir and 1 ss?

2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I can't speak for your ss, because I dont have any, but my RIR eggs are pretty good sized and they have only been laying for a couple-three weeks. They all seemed to lay a huge 2x yolker first, then a few small eggs, but not teeny, and they have gotten steadily bigger. I haven't weighed them, but I am putting them in XL egg cartons, and thye seem to fit pretty good.

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    My first two eggs were the size of a golf ball. I'm waiting for a third and assume they will get bigger, hopefully full size all at once. Gradual would be okay too.

Deb

4. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Thanks, I was worried I'd miss the first one if it ended up in the leaves.

5. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    [​IMG]
    This is a chart that I found and that I use with my kitchen scale to decide the size of my eggs. My first pullet egg was 43g here it is next to one of my other chickens large(61g eggs)
    [​IMG]
    They really are not that small IMO

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  6. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Ok, so I'm not likely to miss it unless its under something. I feel better, thanks. They are so close and I refuse to buy any eggs at the grocery, its making me crazy.

7. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Mine are smaller than store bought, but I thought they would be really small by some of the pics I've seen on this site. My are from White Leghorns! They just started 9 days ago and hasn't skipped one yet:)

[​IMG]
    Next to a store bought Large brown.

8. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I Have An Anouncement.... I Have My First Egg Today! Woohoooo.

9. foursons13

foursons13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Alaska
    I really thought that I would have to look hard for them if they layed them in the yard. They actually stand out like a sore thumb on the ground. Our run has sticks and rocks and leaves in it, but when there's a stray egg layed out there it was like it was screaming at me, "LOOK AN EGG!" First ones were a little bigger than a golf ball from my RSL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by