How small should I cut up apple for chickens??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thegoldengirls, Sep 19, 2009.

1. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Will be first time apple treat for my chickens. How small should I cut the pieces?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You really don't need to cut it up. If you want to, just put a couple in with them, and they will finish them off! [​IMG]

3. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    we use a food chopper (from pampered chef) and cut the apples up just small enough to fit in and give it 6-8 smacks... the chickens don't seem to have a problem cleaning out the "treat dish"...

4. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    b.hromada :

You really don't need to cut it up. If you want to, just put a couple in with them, and they will finish them off! [​IMG]

Thank you!!​

5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    We just throw them in whole or cut in half. My neighbor who has an orchard tosses way to many in sometimes.... but she is just being kind. She has tossed in apple peelings too which I didn't care for, I was worried about them eating to much and binding up their crops.

6. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I think I'll try something in between your suggestions. Maybe bigger chunks to give them something to work at, and also to keep them from arguing over it. I just didn't know if it should be bigger to peck at or smaller to make it easier. Sounds like I can go either way.
    Thanks!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I used to cut apples up for my flock. Then I saw them get an apple that had fallen from the tree and knew they didn't need them cut up anymore.

8. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    I cut them in half, keeps them busy and out of trouble [​IMG]

9. I toss them in whole, they all LOVE them and we sometimes whack them off the trees for them.
    It's a game to roll them around too!

10. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    We toss them out whole here, too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by