How soon after hatching and raising ducklings will my female ducks start laying again?

Beaglegal

Songster
Sep 8, 2019
Western Washington
I have 2 female ducks who have hatched ducklings, the first *I think* hatched her babies at the end of June/beginning of July. This is a rough guess based on how old they looked when we looked at the house. We moved in mid August and the “babies” were fully feathered almost the size of a fully grown duck. The other female hatched her duckling about 4 weeks ago today. The one with the older ducklings is a Cayuga and the one,with a 4 week old, is a Rouen (so i was told). Also based on the loud honking/quacking I think my 3 older “babies” are female. At what age would they start laying?

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Well they’ll be around laying age in November so they may wait till next spring or late winter when days get longer to start laying. Mamas should come into lay again especially the one who hatched In late June. But every duck is different and age can play a roll in it too.

Beaglegal

Songster
Sep 8, 2019
Western Washington
Well they’ll be around laying age in November so they may wait till next spring or late winter when days get longer to start laying. Mamas should come into lay again especially the one who hatched In late June. But every duck is different and age can play a roll in it too.
I do wonder about the age of the mama who hatched in late June. I have read that Cayugas feathers can turn white as they age, and she has quite a few white feathers.

Top Bottom