How soon after the Egg Song did you get an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huckleberryfarm, Jul 1, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Hi! I have one BMC and two Ameraucauna hens that are 24 weeks old. I was in the coop today with two of the hens (the roos were outside) when I'm almost positive they started the Egg Song. I peeked out and the main rooster was doing it too. I'm pretty new to chickens and only have one other hen laying. She's a Silkie and I've heard her do the Egg Song. I looked around for an egg after it ended but didn't see anything. I've noticed that the nest boxes have had someone in them but I haven't seen anyone in there yet.

Just curious if it might be time and how long? Gosh... I sound like I'm expecting a baby... how far apart are the contractions? Are you dilated? Waiting on an egg is stressful!!! [​IMG]

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Lol!! My serama did that little song for about a week and a half and a few of my silkies did it for several weeks.
    Waiting can drive you crazy!!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There is a certain amount of practice before they actually lay eggs. The hormones kick in, they "play" at nesting, and sing the song. Pretty funny to watch a pullet toss shavings onto her own back, or dig around in a nest box to make it just perfect, and then not lay an egg. Gotta get it right, first.

And then they're still surprised and a first egg can often be found right smack dab in the middle of the coop on the floor, or out in the run, because they miscalculated!

4. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Chickens are so funny! My little silkie refuses to use the nest box. I'm putting golf balls out there today. But she does always lay in the same corner of the coop so I always know where to look! I've waited 6 months for blue and brown eggs. Surely we're close and I can be patient a little longer! [​IMG]

5. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard it called the Egg Song!
    LOL!
    I can't describe our ranch when mid day comes... they ALL start doing that squawk!!! they all have their own one, but even the Roos do some sort of squawk... LOL...
    so that is 7 hens, and four roos, all in loud voices! (can't wait to get those last two pullets out there too! argh... ) Glad we have nice neighbors and live in the country! noisy old hens... hehe

6. Bill D

Bill D Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Fayetteville NC
    The "Egg Song" - ok - I know I am new - my girls aren't laying yet (expect to start looking in August) - but what are y'all talking about? [​IMG] (and yes, I am from the South! Hence the Y'all!)

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    baaawk buwk buwk buwk buwk buwk ba-Kaaaawwwwk buwk buwk buwk buwk

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan