how soon can an egg be eaten??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ema, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    How soon can an egg that has just been laid be eaten? mine are not at that point yet but just wondering if there is a waiting time or can they be eaten immediately??

2. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Depends on how long it takes you to get from the coop to the stove!

Seriously though, you can eat the eggs immediately. The only thing that you will notice is that the shell is a little more difficult to peel off a very fresh boiled egg.

Enjoy your yummy eggs. They are worth the wait.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Right away! [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quick! Race to the coop with a hot skillet! [​IMG]

5. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Why would you have to wait to eat it? [​IMG] The fresher, the better.

6. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Our hens just started laying a few weeks ago. The kids get so excited, they all fight over who gets to eat the egg as soon as I bring it in from the yard! It goes straight from the hen to the pot of water in our house.

7. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    ok the reason I asked is because there is a lady down the street who has had chickens all of her life. She told us that they wait somewhere between 4 to 7 days prior to eating their chicken eggs because if they eat them right away they get stomach problems. So that is why I was asking. thanks for the info guys....I can't wait till my babies start laying....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Never heard of that.. mY 8 yr old decided to get up at 5 am the other day and make himself an omelet... ( I was soo angry that he would try cooking ALONE) So I had used all the eggs the night before for a cake, so he tells me that he just decided to go check under the hens.. He was so proud, he got up himslef, fetched his breakfast himself, (started) cooking breakfast himslef (he was found out when we smelled the butter melting) . Not really relevent other then to say that we eat, hardboil, and cook with eggs LITERALY striaght from the chickens butt...

9. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:Never heard of that.. mY 8 yr old decided to get up at 5 am the other day and make himself an omelet... ( I was soo angry that he would try cooking ALONE) So I had used all the eggs the night before for a cake, so he tells me that he just decided to go check under the hens.. He was so proud, he got up himslef, fetched his breakfast himself, (started) cooking breakfast himslef (he was found out when we smelled the butter melting) . Not really relevent other then to say that we eat, hardboil, and cook with eggs LITERALY striaght from the chickens butt...

[​IMG]

smart guy you got there!!! we were taught to cook for ourselves when we were kids starting at age 7 mostly because by the time we got up for school no one was home to make us breakfast so we were on our own until after school. I would have freaked out if I had gotten up and realized my daughter was cooking....eeeeckkkks!!!! thanks for the info :)

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN

[​IMG]

smart guy you got there!!! we were taught to cook for ourselves when we were kids starting at age 7 mostly because by the time we got up for school no one was home to make us breakfast so we were on our own until after school. I would have freaked out if I had gotten up and realized my daughter was cooking....eeeeckkkks!!!! thanks for the info :)

Yeah scarde the poo outta me .. i gotta give the boy credit, he makes a pretty good omelet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by