how soon can I give treats to chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dftkarin, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    My chicks hatched Wednesday and arrived Thursday and have been eating chick starter, how old do they have to be before I can give them treats like a few blades of tender grass, or some strawberries or cherrios?

2. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    my .02, and I am a cautious type, not for 3 wks. These are my first chicks (13) and they're at 8 wks, doing well.

they need time to just get used to eating, and drinking, and life outside of an egg.
    My first treat for the chicks was plain yogurt, which is good for the digestive system.

At 4-6 wks you can start letting them outside (weather permitting) where they will eat grass, buggies, etc. Around this time you could also start giving other interesting treats in moderation.

Mine have not had cheerios yet, maybe next on the list to try. I have observed that they do have different tastes. Some loved the raspberries I gave this am (wild & free!), while others were not as impressed.

Have fun, you will love it! I know I have so far (well, minus the brooder cleanings)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by