How soon can I put my chicks in the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rocketdoctor, Jun 28, 2010.

1. rocketdoctor

rocketdoctor Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    I am wondering how soon I can add baby chicks to my coop/run. I currently have 3 month chickens in a coop and have 7 2 week old chicks in a box in my garage. The weather is warm where I don't even need keep the brooder light/warmer on during the day. I was planning on 6 weeks but can I do it sooner since the weather is warm?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you're going to put both ages of chickens in the same coop, I would wait until they're roughly the same size, OR, if you can separate them inside the coop, so that they can see eachother, but not touch eachother, you could do it sooner.

Chickens are very territorial, and the older flock will beat the crap outta the younger flock if you just throw them together......gotta be careful with introductions...they can be tricky.

Sharon

3. rocketdoctor

rocketdoctor Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Ive gotten a lot of mixed responses to introducing new chickens to a coop some people say that you can easily add in the younger chickens because the pecking order will be obvious. I was thinking I could maybe add a seperation in the run and put them in their during the day for a couple weeks before I put them in the coop to help them get use to each other.

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Ive gotten a lot of mixed responses to introducing new chickens to a coop some people say that you can easily add in the younger chickens because the pecking order will be obvious. I was thinking I could maybe add a seperation in the run and put them in their during the day for a couple weeks before I put them in the coop to help them get use to each other.

This is the way I did it (only with grown hens and chicks), and it worked out great. When you introduce them without barriers in a few weeks, make sure they have plenty of space, and they should be fine.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by