How soon can I put young chicks with older ones?

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
I have 11 BSL were born about April 20th, I have them out in the coop now. I have 3 more pullet chicks that were born around May 10th, I have them in a brooder in our garage. We are having a very warm spring and my garage is getting hot during the day. I would love to be able to get them out in the coop with the others. I have my coop divided because I am also raising 28 Cornish Cross that will be ready for freezer camp in mid July.

I have started taking the little pullets outside a bit in the afternoon just to get them out of that hot garage. I make a makeshift pen for them next to the coop. The older ones can see and hear them but can't get to them. I told my husband I was concerned it they got out of the little makeshift pen. He said it might be ok because it would help the others to get used to them. I would be afraid of trying to catch them because my others are free ranging and I have their gate open so they can come and go to the coop when we are home. I close them in the coop at night.

What is going to be the best way to get these little ones out of the hot garage asap and in with the other girls? They are feathering out but not fully feathered yet.

These are the small ones I am talking about.
56696_dsc07749.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
I have 10 Mixed RIR and NH "reds" plus 2 Cornish X I got on April 17, that were about 4 days old. On May 2, I got 8 Barred Rocks, not sure the age. I have put the two groups together outside with supervision. The larger chicks peck at the BRs so the BRs hide in the coop behind the hay bale.

Try and put your group together for short periods of time and supervise them and see how they get along.

Good luck and best wishes
Keri

I put my 7 weekers (6 of 'em) in with the adults (23 of those) and all are fine, adjusted well, and had no spats. Of course, the bigger ones were allowed to see the younger ones for a week, nose to nose, between fence lines before I integrated them. But point is, they all did fine. The little ones are running around learning from the big girls now. It's really adorable.

I would go ahead and put the May 10th ones in with the April 20th ones. I have a group of 20 babies from 4 different broods up to 5 weeks apart in age all together. You should be just fine putting those younger ones in the with the first ones. They'll huddle together if they get cold at night and be just fine. Babies aren't as fragile as some think. They'll do great! Plus the younger ones will learn from the BSL's.

I have spent the morning with those chicks getting them integrated into the coop. I first took them out and put them in their makeshift area next to the coop fence. Then in about 15 minutes I moved them into the coop yard. They stayed there roaming around a small area and under the ramp to the coop. I had food and water out there for them and they did eat and drink. Then as it was getting warmer I caught them again and this time took them into the coop with the others. Showed them their water but they also found the bigger waterer. They have found their food and so far so good with the bigger ones. A couple of them have even come and eaten with the little ones.

They tend to be staying together with themselves. I don't think I will take them out of the coop now. I will let them find the ramp and learn how to go in and out. We have strong screened windows so they get ventilation in there. It is so much better than the garage for them if they can get along. I hope it works. They have all been together for 3 or 4 hours now.

They have been all day with the bigger girls. Since I got them in the coop around noon they have not come back out even with the older ones going in and out all day. I figure when they are ready to go out they will and I am not going to push it. My big goal was to get them out of the hot garage.

Back
Top Bottom