How soon can I take her away? Attacking my dog! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mychookschick, Sep 10, 2010.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Hi all!

My very protective mama, Eunice, is attacking my dog when I bring her out of the pen.... and the baby isn't anywhere near the dog!

How soon can I take the baby away from her? I want the baby to stay warm enough, as I live in Maine, but I'm worried she is really going to hurt someone....
    She even attacked Peanut the other day because I was holding the baby and she thought that Peanut had him!

I just want to do what is best for everybody... so any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much!
    Luvmygoldencomets

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    If you put the chicks into a brooder you can take them away at anytime. You just have to take the place of the mother, supplying the heat, food and water.

3. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Well, I can't do that so, I was just hoping to take the baby and put him in his own cage.

Thanks anyway,
    Luvmygoldencomets

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  4. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    He already knows how to eat and everything, I just need to know how old he is when he can keep himself warm.... ?

5. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    You didn't say how old the chick was...but as soon as it's fully feathered, it won't need heat.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Depends on what part of the country you live in. Here in the south this time of year we could put him in a secure separate cage at around 4 weeks with nothing to worry about...possibly a little earlier. If you're mornings are getting down into the mid to lower 50s. I would give it some sort of heat source for a week or so, just to be safe. A 75 watt light bulb should be fine.

Good luck to you....

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    How old is the baby chicken? [​IMG]
    Do you not have a brooder, or heat lamp? How hard is it to set up a brooder???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by