how soon can new chicks have......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladyearth, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    LIVE Mealworm? Freeze dried ones? sprouts ? something other than chick starter?
    JUst brought them home last nite......little dollbabies.....Roos Roos newEXTRA girlfriends LOL[​IMG][​IMG]
    I kinda forgot...... I just remember Pasty Butts from last March before I started buying Probiotics"""
    Giving them combo probiotics and vitamins........ "Poultry Pro Vita" brand......
    thanks yall

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    You are doing just fine. they are babies. Give them time to adjust to their new home. They need time to make sure they absorb that whole egg sac. Just put some scattered feed on a paper towel on the floor. You can give them diced 4-7 day old sprouts in a week or two. It is important to make sure they have chick grit available. Sprinkle it on the paper towel too. Feeding chick grit during these early weeks is important because it helps the chicks develop a larger, healthier gizzard. It is probably not something you will notice visually as they grow...but when they reach production age, if they have been given the right size grit at the right growth stages, it can mean up to 20% more eggs from the females. this is because their better developed gizzards will do a better job of grinding the feed so they bird can uptake more nutrition as it goes thru the digestive system. More nutrients= more eggs. Here is a PDF which explains it. I get my grit from this company They have been making chick grit since 1935.
    http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf I get my single bags of each of the three sizes at Agway for less then 10.00 a 50 lb. bag (regardless of chicken grit size).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    heck< I still have a small bag chick grit left from last spring. better go out in that dang cold to the garage and bring it in...
    thanks now if I could just find my mind...... too many other iron in the fire. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by