1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how soon can we eat eggs when...........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country4ever, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I had a hen that I was treating with Baytril. I left her with the others, since nobody was laying eggs (they're old). But then a few of the healthy ones supprised me with a couple eggs. I'm assuming we can't eat those. I removed her bumblefoot stuff and put her in her own crate for about 5 days. I stopped giving her antibiotic yesterday. If I put her back with the others in a day or 2, should I still not eat the others' occasional eggs for 2 weeks, or can we eat them sooner?
    Thanks.

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Baytril is not licensed for use in laying hens so withdrawal times have not been established for eggs. It is customary to advise a 28 day withdrawl period for antibiotics that don't have a listed withrawal time (err on the side of caution). I think the meat withdrawal period is 8 days.

There was a study in 2009 Tissue and Egg Residues and Adverse Effect of Two Oral Enrofloxacin Preparations... byH.M. Elkholy, A.A. Elkomy, S.K. Awidat and A.A. Elmajdoub that showed no residue in the chicken eggs, tissue or serum after 5 days. I don't know how rigorous the science was in this study, but the study as published says after 5 days is ok.

Did your vet advise 2 weeks?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Hi dretd,

My vet just let me have the baytril and I use it just based on my experience and clinical assessment of the problem. Is this "wash-out" period also include eggs laid by other chickens that the hen is around during this time?
    Thanks for your help.

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Only the eggs laid by the hen that received the Baytril need to be tossed. As long as you can tell the difference in the eggs from the different hens, you can use the other's eggs. My daughter is pretty funny because she always requests specific hen's eggs for breakfast--like 'today I'll have an Eva egg and a Bindi egg'. Two of the chickens are the same breed and I can't tell their eggs apart.

Sometimes chickens will stop laying for a period of time after they are stressed so its possible your hen may not even lay for a week or two after her illness. Good luck!

5. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks again,

I wish I hadn't been throwing out the eggs from the one easter-egger who is still laying. They are a sparse commodity these days! My hens are 8 years old and most of them have quit laying altogether.
    I wasn't sure if they would happen to eat some of the stool of the one being treated, if that would be a problem.
    I wasn't too concerned since I know my husband and I have no antibiotic allergies........but I don't think Baytril has ever been used on humans.
    Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by