How soon can you let chicks out in the yard??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by acbear93, Aug 9, 2009.

1. acbear93

acbear93 Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    Ok, I have 4 chicks out of 5, hatched on 8/6...they are in a rabbit cage with their mama...I am trying to decide what to do here, I would like to let mama just do what she does, and be their mama...I have noticed already that they are out and about, zipping around in the cage, and mama is showing them how to scratch, etc...and I want to be able to let them outside for a bit...how soon is too soon? We have raised chicks before, but not with a hen, and it just seems like I should let it happen naturally with mama, but I want to be able to let them be outside too, but dont want to lose them either....what do I do?? Can I put them in our coop with the rest of the flock? I just dont know how soon to do this and that?? Any advice??

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    If you put them with the rest of the flock, mama should protect them, but you may still prefer to keep them separated until they are a bit older, just to be on the same side, I think. But sure, by all means, let them out into the big wide world for a bit of exploring! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

PS You might try regularly giving them yogurt, or medicated chick feed, to guard against coccidosis (sp?).

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I say let nature take it's natural course, momma always knows best. Animals raise there young all the time without help from people so I am sure she will no just what to do.
    I say let her out of that cage! My grandma always jsut let them do there chicken thing and they were fine.

4. acbear93

acbear93 Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    I am thinking that is what I want to do....let them out and be with the rest of the flock....She's been a good mama so far, so I just want to let her do her thing...

Will I need to make a special place for them inside where the nesting boxes are, right now they would have to hop up into them, and I dont know what the chicks would do...or if mama would stay down with them, I am wondering if a pail turned on its side with nesting material in it would work as a seperate nest that would be on the floor in there....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: