1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How soon can you sex Silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunny Side Up, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've never raised Silkies before, and now we've got 2 of them who are about 3-5 weeks old. How soon can you tell their sex? What indicators do you look for? Their combs are still black, do they ever turn red?

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Most have to wait til they lay or crow. Look for true feathers in the tail and the puff on the heads tends to aim back on boys. Also boys tend to be bigger than girls. But I couldn't tell on mine til they were 4 months! And eventually the boys comb turns mullberry

3. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    I would wait for a little while longer, I have one that is 6 months now and looks like a cockerel, little streemers coming out of the back of its crest but it acts like a hen, no crowing or laying, squats like the other hens who don't have a man to do the deed when i go to pet it. 6 months and i am still stumped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by