how soon can you tell if it's a roo?

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
My RIR chick has bumps on the top of its nose. it's only a week old, but I'm fearing its a rooster. We got them from the feed store as pullets. Also, it does NOT like to be grabbed. The buff orpington and australorp don't mind it. the gold sex link puts up a small fight, but this RIR will run, flap, shake, chirp, whatever not to be held. I try to persist so that it becomes used to it, but i don't know.

how soon can you tell?

That's too early to tell. I usually can tell by 5 weeks. Here is an article that was posted about sexing chicks
According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

Back
Top Bottom