1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How soon do Turkeys perch?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Jocasta, May 13, 2011.

1. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    OK, so my guys are only 1 day old haha but I was thinking about making some little perches for their brooder - how soon could they use them?

Also, how old are they before you'd give them kitchen scraps?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I think that would be a great idea for them. I always put something in their brooder for them to jump on. They seem to like it. As far as the kitchen scarps, I don't know how old they should be before feeding kitchen scraps to them, so I don't know the answer. Sorry.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have a perch made from 2x2 (24" long) on top of two 4x4 blocks (6" long each) in the turkey brooder. Real simple. The last batch started using them around 2 weeks.

I'd hold off on scraps for a bit. Let them grow on a controled feed for a few weeks, then introduce other things like vegies, etc. I don't give mine any scraps. The dog gets those.

4. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Thanks guys!! [​IMG]

These little dudes are so entertaining! I can't get enough! I'm cross with DH because he won't let me get more eggs haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by