How soon to add green vegetation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RBOutdoors, Mar 12, 2012.

1. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    At what age should I start adding green grass in the brooder. The rye grass is green and needs to be cut so I was going to add a couple handfuls.

2. linkedsilas

linkedsilas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Durham,NC
    I dont know the answer to that but from other things I have read. people say to be careful because sometimes they cannot get the grass blade small enough and swallowing one that is too long can become a problem and tangle up. Thats what I have read in a few places

3. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I will wait for a response to this post, too.

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I start feeding greens right from day one. However grass needs to be chopped very small for little chicks.

Young grass is best because it's higher in protein and easier to digest. But other weeds like chickweed (aptly named) and dandelion are fabulous green pick for young chickens.

Best wishes
    Erica

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    What I find is best is if you get a run, and let them out in the yard to eat the grass themselves for a while. This means they can pick the greens to a size that they can comfortably eat.

If this isn't possible, as is the case for us, finely chopped should do fine. We kept the chicks with grass in their brooder from day one too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by