how soon to eat eggs, after hen has been eating chick crumbs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joannamarie, Aug 4, 2007.

1. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    how soon to eat eggs, after hen has been eating chick crumbs if medicated

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmm, im not sure....but I didnt want to read your post, and not answer. LOL Maybe there is a number on the bag for the manufacturer, you can call them.??

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    How much and how often did the hen eat the medicated starter?

2 weeks would be a good safe number for the hen to get anything
    out of her systems. Boil up any of her eggs and feed them to your
    flock. They'll love em... [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I believe I answered this same question in another post.

You don't have to wait. There are some people who feed only medicated feed to their stock. You only have to wait if you have specifically given medications for certain illness.

Chick crumbles even the medicated variety are nothing special. Just super small crumbs of feed for younger chicks to learn to eat. You can mix your crumbles and your layer pellets to use it all up if you plan to switch over to layer pellets or any pelletized feed to keep from wasting it.

If you have eggs and haven't given them meds for illness, disease or worms go ahead and eat them.

I do not give any of my animals medicated feed. I feel that they build a far better immune system if allowed to develop naturally with pure grain feeds, good water and a clean coop.

5. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    purple chicken, thanks 2wks it is then to be safe, the hen has been eating them every day with the chicks, she rejoined to other 2 hens a few days ago.

missprissy, you did reply but you didnt tell me how long for medicated, i replied saying i didnt know if it was medicated or not as the pet shop didnt know so i still didnt know how long to wait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by