How soon to rehome the drakes?

zooweemama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Far Northern California
Our flock size is 17. It looks like we have about 4 drakes. We can safely keep 2 with our flock size. That means we have to rehome the other 2. How soon should we rehome them? They are 6 weeks old now. We have a set of 3 week old females (8 of them) so I have safety concerns of the drakes trying to mate them before they are ready. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
If you know that you only want to keep two, pick those using whatever criteria you are working towards and rehome the other two now.

Tahai

Songster
11 Years
Dec 18, 2011
North-Central Pennsylvania
Your drakes are part of your 5 week old crowd? I would wait as long as you can. If you intend to hatch, you'll want to pick the best quality drakes (the quality of your boys always carries more weight in a herd/flock than the quality of your girls). I doubt you want to wait the 2 years for their final colors to settle in, but you could wait until breeding season starts (in 13-20 weeks from now for this batch), and make your best guess then. Also, 4 drakes for 13 hens isn't a terrible mix, though 3 might be better. Too many hens, and you risk prolapses in the boys.

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
All of my ducks started breeding around 5 months. If your worried about breeding issues I'd make sure to rehome them before then.However, in seems the younger they are the easier it is to rehome them in some area

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16-17
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
I agree with Kevin most people are looking for ducklings so you may want to make your decision soon. I hate this part.
sad.png

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
If you already know which ones you want to keep, re-home the others now. The younger they are, the easier they are to re-home.

Fortunately, drakes are a lot easier to re-home than roosters, but still, you are going to have to work at it to find them homes.

zooweemama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Far Northern California
I found them a home! Woohoo! I just need to mark the drakes so I can watch them for a few days and see who I want to rehome. For sure I have 4 drakes at least. 1 Pekin, 1 Cayuga (unless there is another type of all black duck with a shimmery green), Crested something (runner or swedish hatchery grade) and a Buff.

Females we have Pekins (which I love their big fat white butts and sassy quacks), WH, FW Runners, Buff and Golden 300. It appears as though I might have one or two female Cayuga too.

We are keeping the crested because we love him to bits. I am not much of a Cayuga girl personally - so I am okay rehoming the Cayuga dude. And I am torn between the Pekin male or the Buff male to keep or re-home. Ahhh! Since I have females of both breeds and I like both breeds so far.

I wonderrrr...if I could keep 3 males...and actually rehome 1 male and female Cayuga? So that way my friend gets a pair (they don't have any ducks) and I can keep 3 drakes because honestly I want to keep the Pekin + Crested + Buff males.

Any thoughts on this?

If I have sexed correctly I have 4 males and 13 females currently...

zooweemama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Far Northern California
Oh no! So I went with my son to tag all the males with zip ties. Females loud annoying quack, males no quacking just low rasping correct? We have 6 males. That leaves me with 11 ladies. Wahhh!

We have 2 male Pekins, 2 male Cayugas, 1 male Buff and 1 male crested.

There is one male Pekin that is ginormous and we are attached to him, plus the Buff and the crested. 3 drakes we'd like to keep...with 11 ladies. Ah man!

Top Bottom