How soon will I see eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buggie, Jun 23, 2011.

1. buggie

buggie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    I have 4 Barred Rock, 1 GLW, and 2 White Rock hens and 2 GLW roosters. They are all 19 weeks old and one of the roos mounted one of the Barred Rocks this evening. So how soon will start receiving those delicious treats? Haven't seen any yet.
    [​IMG]

2. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I would give it time and patience.... [​IMG] You don't have to have a roo for the hens to lay.

3. [​IMG]

Patience, patience, patience. They will lay soon, have no fear. Take a deep breath and only look 3 times a day instead of the usuall 10. Ha ha.
    Are they squating for you? Are those combs bright throbbing red? Are they making a lot of needless noise? Are they very interested in the nest boxes with the fake eggs yet? All of these signs will tell you when THEY are ready.

Wishing you the BEST first egg ever!

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    My 20 week old EE just started laying yesterday, but I have 8 others that aren't even thinking about it. Depends on the breed, the weather, the conditions, the feed, the health... but most of all, when they darn well feel like it! [​IMG]

5. buggie

buggie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks for the responses, yes the BR combs are turning redder, they dont squat for me, the one did for the roo though. I guess it is time to open up the nest boxes (closed them due to them sleeping in them).

6. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Oh is the comb changing a sign? Wow, we were just talking about that today. Mine are so red it looks like their foreheads are bleeding. They don't even really resist the rooster when he mounts them anymore, but so far NO eggs. Mine are 16 weeks.

Hopefully we will all have eggs....soon!

7. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    We just got our first EVER egg today!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is a 20 week old White Leghorn. Her comb and wattle started turning bright red about a week ago and she started testing the nest box off and on. She also sounded more like a parrot than a chicken with her funny squawking. The large egg in the pic above is the fake one and the smaller one is hers. It was really little and sooo cute!

Hope your's start laying soon too [​IMG]

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I was just asking my wife if she remembers our very first egg about 5 years ago. The whole family gathered round and oohed and aahed and we fried it up and all took a bite.

Since then we have gone into the organic egg production business with a few thousand hens. We've packed up over one million eggs, by hand, in the past two years. [​IMG]

9. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Quote:Since then we have gone into the organic egg production business with a few thousand hens. We've packed up over one million eggs, by hand, in the past two years. [​IMG]

My hero! That's amazing! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. stevensonm

stevensonm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Isn't that awesome I got my first ever Saturday. Good deal

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by