how stress effects laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jusahippiechick, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jusahippiechick

jusahippiechick New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Greetings from a VA newbie! I recently had a hen to lay 3 eggs in roughly 24 hours! She is the only hen laying brown eggs,so I know they're all hers. I checked them one day and no eggs. Checked the next day and she's sitting on 3! Obviously, one could have been laid the first day, after I had checked. And one could have been laid the second day,,but 3?? She had just been stressed by a hawk, not actually caught. I'm guessing she "held" the egg, then laid them all in the 24 hit period. Has anybody had a similar situation?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Stress usually makes hens stop laying, or lay really strange looking eggs. It could be that your hen is one of those rare 2-a-day layers, but 3 a day is very unlikely.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Hi :) and :welcome I'm in VA also. Glad you joined BYC. Stress like sumi said, usually makes hens stop laying. Its very rare and unlikely to get 2 or 3 eggs in one day from one hen.

4. jusahippiechick

jusahippiechick New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks! Don't think she's a 2 a-day hen, but I can usually count on an egg a day from her. It was quite a surprise and I even thought one of the chicks, 14 weeks old, may have started laying. But since I haven't had any more "chick" eggs, I think she must have been stressed enough to hold an egg and then lay 2 in a day, then 1 the next morning.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Maybe the stress caused a little hiccough in her egg laying system. In your case a good one!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Sumi said! Welcome to BYC.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, jusahippiechick, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your hens!

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by