How strong should a light be for candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Matt98, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Matt98

Matt98 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    My buff orpington has just started sitting on eggs. The last time she went broody was three years ago (well, the last time she went broody while there was a rooster on the farm), I limited her to six eggs but only two hatched. I want to get a light good enough to candle the eggs, as last time I was lax and had a "what hatches hatches" attitude. What strength light should I get? And is it ok to let her hatch this late in the year? I live in Ireland, and it will start to get very wet and fairly cold from October on

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on the impending arrivals
    I would not hesitate to allow her to set this clutch - October is a fair bit off and the advantage of a broody is that she will keep those babies warm and safe until they are able to do so on their own, which at just 5-6 weeks of age they will be able to come through some very cold temps w/out batting an eye -- as to the wet part, are your birds afforded a shelter under which they can stay dry and out of major drafts if they so desire (saying if because we all know our animals will often choose to stay out in conditions *we* don't think are fit for them with our human sensibilities, lol).

3. Matt98

Matt98 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Yes, they are in a shed which protects them fully from wind and rain and there is another disused shed/hut they sometimes hide in in bad weather. Definitely agree with that Haha, sometimes in terrible rain I will see my black rock hen still wondering around outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by