1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How tall for coop

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sesa, Apr 23, 2009.

1. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    OK dumb question but before I build it I'd like to hear from those of you that have done this and wished you had done it differently. I'm going to be building basically a coop on one side of a shed with a door going out to a covered run, it's going to be 10' long and 2' wide with a hinged top. How tall should it be to allow enough room for the chickens not to be too cramped?

2. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    2' wide is pretty narrow. You may want to try a little wider if you can. As far as the height goes, it is helpful to have it tall enough to make cleaning easy. Especially if it is 10' long, you will want to get in for cleaning. It is much easier to clean standing up than kneeling, sitting, squatting, etc so I would make it tall enough to walk in (especially since it is so narrow).

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Since you put this in the meat birds section, are you talking about raising Cornish X? They are generally raised in tractors.

4. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    Sorry for the wording, what I'm talking about is not really a coop but really a brooder that they will be able to wander out of when they get big enough.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If they are only going to be in this brooder and run for a few weeks, it does not need to be very tall, maybe 2' so they can try to fly a bit. If the coop is open to the run, they will wander out to the run right away, or at least within a day or two.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

All of my coops are 2' tall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by