How tall for coop

sesa

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Thurmont, Md
OK dumb question but before I build it I'd like to hear from those of you that have done this and wished you had done it differently. I'm going to be building basically a coop on one side of a shed with a door going out to a covered run, it's going to be 10' long and 2' wide with a hinged top. How tall should it be to allow enough room for the chickens not to be too cramped?

2' wide is pretty narrow. You may want to try a little wider if you can. As far as the height goes, it is helpful to have it tall enough to make cleaning easy. Especially if it is 10' long, you will want to get in for cleaning. It is much easier to clean standing up than kneeling, sitting, squatting, etc so I would make it tall enough to walk in (especially since it is so narrow).

Since you put this in the meat birds section, are you talking about raising Cornish X? They are generally raised in tractors.

Sorry for the wording, what I'm talking about is not really a coop but really a brooder that they will be able to wander out of when they get big enough.

If they are only going to be in this brooder and run for a few weeks, it does not need to be very tall, maybe 2' so they can try to fly a bit. If the coop is open to the run, they will wander out to the run right away, or at least within a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom