1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how tall is ur standard poodle

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by moomoodiddy, Jul 17, 2012.

1. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    hey yall just curious how tall is ur standard poodle and can you post a pic in comparison to something thanx

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I don't have any standards, but I used to petsit a pair of standard poodle laddies on a regular basis. No pictures, sorry. They are actually quite tall and leggy. As tall as a saluki I'd say? They were such good boys too, I miss them. Very athletic dogs, needed to be kept well exercised (well, that is true of nearly all dogs, but these two needed a lot of activity). These two boys were kept clipped short, so they didn't look all fluffy and silly.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It would be easy for you to google their breed standard and their correct height (at the withers) will be there.

Roughly the same height as a German Shorthair Pointer. Much taller than a correct Labrador. Close in size and build to a Doberman Pincher.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    [​IMG]
    this is one of the pups from our rally workshop last week. He is about the same height as Singe at the withers - 26 1/2 inches but he looks taller because he carries his head upright

5. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    thanks yall ive always not liked poodles but lately i think is my dream dog but all breed standards have been saying 15 inches or taller and i dont want no small dog

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    that is why it's important to go with a good breeder. They know the ancestry of their dogs and can give you a much better idea of what size their dogs will be. None of the standard poodles I've seen have been small dogs.
    Be aware that they are working dogs though. And if you don't give them a job they can cause a lot of trouble.

7. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Yes, the standard says 'anyting over 15 inches' I have never seen one even close to 15 inches, most look like the dog pictured above. GS males are 25-27 and the standards I see at shows are at least that tall, not built as heavy but as tall or taller. Meet the parents, and your breeder should know the height of every dog on the pedigree, so you will have a fair idea of the adult hieght of your pup.

8. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine is small, about 23 inches tall I think. Still far from 15 though! She is the runt! Her dad was HUGE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by