How Tall Should Coop Be...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by High Mountain Chic, Mar 24, 2009.

1. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    My brother-in-law and I are building my chicken coop and I have seen lots of great ideas on this site. My question is how tall should I make the coop? It should be noted that I live in Leadville CO at 10,000 ft... it is winter from Nov-May up here and the temps can get pretty low. So I know that keeping the coop warm is a must! I figured that the coop should probably not be as tall in order to keep the inside nice and toasty. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cold winter coop? THanks for your help!

2. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm no pro, but I'd make it tall enough to easily walk into without bending over. Imagine shovelling it out, you don't want to make maintenance any harder than it has to be!

I insulated my coop, with vapour barrier and while it stays nice and warm in there I've had some humidity problems, with mold. If you insulate, make sure you have more ventilation than you think you need.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If your winters are long and unpleasant, I'd make sure the coop is tall enough for you to stand and walk in easily, cuz it's going to be a lot more pleasant for you to be in *there* than outside [​IMG] (I.e. don't build just a reach-in coop)

It is actually easier to regulate temperature and ventilation (air quality) with a normal-height rather than short coop.

There are a number of things you can do to improve the wintertime temperature. Insulate (even to the point 2x6 rather than 2x4 walls, fully filled with insulation, if you want to go 'whole hog' with it, although that is not *necessary* as such), well-designed ventilation, big south-facing sunny windows (can bubblewrap or have shutters if nighttime heat loss is a big concern), popcan-type solar heater if desired, etc etc. And if you decide the birds are too cold at night you can construct a hover or drop-ceiling over/around the roost, or partition off a 'coop within the coop' including the roost, so that their body heat is concentrated into a smaller area at night and you can still have all the benefits of an otherwise-large coop.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I am in the Springs, mine is a reach in. If I could do it over, I'd make it big enough to walk in and close the door ehind me. MEasure your height, add at least a foot for comfort. add ventilation to keep the humidity low in the coops too.

5. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    lets see im 6' 3'" built first couple of coops 6' wont do that again im getting a soft spot on my head keep hitting same spot all coops are 6' 5" now. i wear a hard hat when i go in the old ones lol.

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Tall enough that you don't bonk your head ........................ [​IMG] I've done that a time or two and I said a really ugly word or words.................... [​IMG]

7. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    yea what she said you ought ta hear what i say in the morning when i forget the hard hat my 10 year grandson reminds though

8. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    My coop wall are 8' alone.

9. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    Thanks everyone! That really helps out! I will make it tall enough to get inside! BYC is the best![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by