How tall should the coop be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BleuSaphir, Jan 12, 2014.

1. BleuSaphir

BleuSaphir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2012
    Hello everyone,
    I used to keep chickens in the suburbs. I used to keep a pair of Silver Sebright and one RIR. One point I did had three roosters-I bought two baby chicks and both turn out to be males, had my dad to cull them off and that how I ended up having the RIR. I did had one EE with the RIR but did not make it through. :(

I had to give up chickens because of my neighbor dogs. I couldn't bare walking to the coop to feed them, clean the coop. So I made my dad to give them away to the feed store. I was in high school at the time (10th grade). I went hitatus with keeping chickens after that...now I want to keep chicken again. I wish I could have the old coop back. It a bit larger room for space and a proper hight for a roost, and it tuck away from the backyard. But I hate dealing with my neighbor dog jumping at our old fence that depsretly need to be replaced with a brick wall! :he
    Right now the old coop is converted back to a vetagble garden space.
    For now maybe this plan might be okay...
    I have a new potential spot to keep chickens, but the coop would have to be 4'X4'. How tall can the coop be? I want to talk to my dad about keeping chickens again and maybe if he is willing to make a "extenshion" to my mom "hair salon shed". I want the extenshion to be the new storage space. Bottom part would be the coop and the upper part to be the new storage space.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. BleuSaphir

BleuSaphir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2012
    Actually...I'm scratching the 4'X4' coop planning...I thought of something better and I wished I had thought of this Years ago! I will use the upper part of my mom vegetable garden. The area is where I am the most tolerable part of the backyard I will be around at. But I will make the coop 4' tall. The size will be much bigger- 3' in width X 9' in length. The roof will be a raised vegetable garden! :D

I was thinking of eailer planning to be 3 feet tall of the 4' by 4' coop...but I like my new idea better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by