How tall should the fence be

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cochinfan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I am going to chicken proof a very large area that is already fenced for day time use by my flock. The fence is only about four foot high. Is it likely that the chickens will fly over the fence? I'm hoping since the area is so big that they won't want to. My chickens only seem to think about flying up when it is time to roost.

thanks!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. woodlumn

woodlumn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Virginia
    I use 4' high electric poultry netting. My birds haven't flown out. They can, but they haven't.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Our field fence and wooden horse fence is 4 foot tall, and my girls haven't flown out. CAN they?? Definitely, all except my big butted BO. But they have a large area with grass, bugs, and other fun things, so why should they??? Hopefully yours will have that same outlook... [​IMG]

4. hughmac312

hughmac312 Out Of The Brooder

Hi,

Jen and I have a 6' privacy fence. It is as much to keep our flock in as it is to keep out
    predators. Perhaps adding framed lattice work to the top may help if it is aesthetically possible.

Hugh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by