How TALL should the nesting box be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chuckzoo, May 18, 2009.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I am getting ready to make a nesting box for my two BRs. I was thinking of making it 12"X 14", but how high does it need to be inside? I need to slope the roof.

This is going to be an exterior nesting box. I am going to use this opportunity to add some sq footage to their coop and run to.

Thanks!

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Most slope from 12" in the front to 17-18" in the back.

EDIT: Since your doing exterior, it'd be reversed.. 17" or so at the front sloping to 12" or so in the back. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    Mine are 12'' x 12''.... they also slope, but they were built flat on the top, and then the slope was added.. if you get what I'm saying. So they are 12 '' tall [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks!
    I am planning to extend the coop and the run section under it while I am doing the nesting box. The piece that I am adding on will be the 3' wide (the width of the coop) by the 14". I will cordon off a 12" section for the nesting box. I planned to make it about 24" tall sloping down to about 18". Will this be too tall?
    Since it gets hot in the summer here (Alabama) I was thinking the extra height would alow for more air flow.

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    it may be ok at that hight, but I know that chickens need a very secure place to nest, they need to feel snug and comfy.. i think that's why they are usually only about a foot high.

6. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    OK - I could add a piece of dark colored shade net as a 'false' roof hopefully it would achieve the secure feeling without making it too hot?

7. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    That is a good nesting box i got a tote, with some saw dust in it for my chickens to go into. They dont lay eggs yet but there getting big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by