1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ok i am building my new coop and run and i need to know how tall my runs fence has to be i dont want them getting out but they will on every wednesday and friday to free range because those are the only days i can watch them and make sure they stay in the yard the other days they will stay in the coop and their run but i do need to make sure they cant excape lol [​IMG] becuase im building today and i just need to know thank you and i appriciate it

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:put a roof on it. predator protection and no chance of them escaping.. I like about 7 feet.. easy to walk around in yourself.

3. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i dont know if i can do 7 foot because my fencing is 4 1/2 foot tall and i dont have posts that tall

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    You dont have to go 7 ft tall, its just nicer when you have to go in the run, you can stand up straight. [​IMG] I also recomend putting a top on it. Much safer that way.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:exactly [​IMG] which is why i said "I like it" didn't say you had to [​IMG] most of my pens are 4 feet tall.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If there is no top (roof or wire or netting), they *can* fly out anytime they want, even if it is 6-7' high fencing. (Most chickens anyhow). Will they want to? Who knows. The more important it is to keep them in, the more worthwhile it'll be to put a lid on the run in some way. It will help vs at least some predators, too.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    thanks everyone i think i know what im going to do now im going to move the whole location of my coop and run to another part of my yard put it against the fence have my runs top slope at a 7 foot privacy fence and attach it to the 4 and a half foot tall fence which will actually be 4 foot tall because it will be burried 6 inches so thank you again

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Sounds like a great idea, let us know how it turns out. [​IMG]

9. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i sure will [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by