How the processing is going...

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
I processed three today, three yesterday and two the day before. I am decidedly improving in terms of efficiency and effectiveness... but getting burned out. I've been giving up before they're totally plucked clean and putting them in the fridge to clean without regret. Well, much regret. Tomorrow, I think I'll stick to TWO.

But I''ve got six birds in the fridge, one in the crock pot and and upstairs neighbor pomeranian who is rapidly learning to love her downstairs sucker, errr... neighbor. I've got another bowl of treats for her to get upstairs in the morning.

I promised one to my mother in law and one to my sister in law and will put the rest into the freezer. Then... back to the barn. I've got another 18 or 20 left to process. I MAY be halfway competent by the time I'm done.

What are you using? Scalder? Plucker? It does get easier with experience.

For pin feathers try a kitchen scrubby pad. They work Great. Pulls them right out.

A Toothbrush for the lungs is good.

Even could use a scrubby for the lungs to I imagine.

DH made me a red neck plucker for 15 bucks, took 90 percent of the feathers off.

I did ten at a time and the worst part was I got a back ache from leaning over the low sink in the shed.

Good Luck Sandra

Mary

thumbsup.gif
Good for you! There certainly is a learning curve, and practice will at least bring improvement, if not perfection.

Is there anyone there to help you? I like having at least one other person around, for company & conversation and occasional assistance. It makes the job seem easier & go faster. It also helps to have someone young or old to help fetch tools & turn on faucets & etc.

I have a dear friend to often comes to help butcher just so she can enhance her own skills. We're both rather new to this, and it helps to have opportunities to practice. It makes us feel good to have learned this basic survival skill, once so commonplace, now so rare. Perhaps there are folks in your area who would like to learn, and would join you for your next processing session.

You'll learn as you go the best ways to do things, the best tools to use, the best height for your work tables, etc. I found it helped to have my work table high, about elbow height, to have good sharp knives, nice hot water for scalding, and a rack from which to hang the birds while plucking.

I wish you success with your remaining birds!

What are you using? Scalder? Plucker? It does get easier with experience.

For pin feathers try a kitchen scrubby pad. They work Great. Pulls them right out.

A Toothbrush for the lungs is good.

I'm scalding in a stock pot on the stove. How does a scrubby not tear skin Lungs are coming out nicely and the pom upstairs says yum!

I did ten at a time and the worst part was I got a back ache from leaning over the low sink in the shed.

Yeah, I have a back injury so do it sitting at the dining room table.​

>Is there anyone there to help you? I like having at least one other
>person around, for company & conversation and occasional
>assistance. It makes the job seem easier & go faster. It also helps
>to have someone young or old to help fetch tools & turn on faucets
>& etc.

I've usuallly got my husbnand with me though my oldest kept me company for a while today. I find that watching dr. who helps pass the time nicely! I still have a good half dozen or so episodes befiore I'm all caught up. Then I have seasons of torchwood to watch, then hopefully dh will have found the sarah jane adventures!

Back
Top Bottom